- You have a computer that is running Windows Server 2008 R2 or Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 (SP1)
- You have configured Microsoft iSCSI Software Target 3.3
- You start the upgrade of the operating system to Windows Server 2012.
- When you proceed through the Upgrade wizard, the compatibility report shows the following message: Installing Windows will affect the following features:
Setup has detected that Microsoft iSCSI Software Target or Microsoft iSCSI VDS/VSS providers are installed on this computer. They will no longer function after the upgrade and configuration settings will be lost You must follow the instructions at <Link> prior to the upgrade to ensure they can continue to work after successful upgrade.
The following steps can be used to export and import the Microsoft iSCSI Software Target 3.3 configuration settings:
- Open an elevated Windows PowerShell prompt, and change directory to C:\Program Files\Microsoft iSCSI Software Target
- Make sure your ExecutionPolicy can run scripts. You can temporarily set the execution policy to unrestricted for just the current session, using the following command: Set-ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted
- Run the following command to export the Microsoft Software Target 3.3 configuration settings:
.\iSCSITargetSettings.ps1 –Export –Filename C:\temp\iSCSISettings.xml
- Note: For a cluster, run the script on each node in the cluster. You can also run the script remotely from another server where target is installed.
- Uninstall Microsoft iSCSI Software Target 3.3 and then upgrade the operating system to Windows Server 2012.
- After the upgrade, open an elevated Windows PowerShell prompt and then set the execution policy to unrestricted:
- Enable the Microsoft iSCSI Software Target feature using the following command:
Add-WindowsFeature FS-iSCSITarget-Server -IncludeManagementTools
- From the PowerShell prompt, change the directory to C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules\IscsiTarget
- Run the following command to import the Microsoft Software Target configuration settings:
.\iSCSITargetSettings.ps1 –Import –Filename C:\temp\iSCSISettings.xml
Microsoft iSCSI Software Target Migration Guide
Microsoft iSCSI Software Target 3.3: Known Issues and Updates
Article ID: 2756772 - Last Review: Sep 14, 2012 - Revision: 1