Consider the following scenario. You install the PowerPivot add-in for Excel 2010. You then create a new workbook in Excel, and copy this workbook to a new presentation in PowerPoint and save the presentation. You then edit the Excel workbook inside the presentation and add a new slide. When you attempt to save the file under these conditions the following error message will be generated:
“PowerPoint was unable to open or save this document. Please ensure that you have access privileges to read or write the document and that it is not encrypted”
Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
322756 How to back up and restore the registry in Windows
To resolve this problem, disable the PowerPivot add-in in the Excel 2010 workbook before you embed it in the PowerPoint presentation. To disable the PowerPivot add-in using the Excel interface:
- In Excel, click Options on the File menu.
- In the Options dialog box, click Add-Ins.
- In the Manage drop-down control, select COM Add-Ins and then click Go.
- Click to clear the option for the PowerPivot for Excel add-in.
- Click OK.
To disable the PowerPivot add-in using the Registry Editor:
- Close PowerPoint if it is running.
- On the Start menu, click Run.
- Type regedit, and then press Enter.
- Select the following key in the registry.
- Right click the LoadBehavior value and click Modify.
- Change the value from 3 to 0 and then click OK.
- Exit Registry Editor.
A similar issue exists for Word 2010. For more information, see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2021065
For more information on the PowerPivot addin, see http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel-help/powerpivot-add-in-HA101811050.aspx
Article ID: 2776957 - Last Review: Apr 8, 2013 - Revision: 1