- The email message is sent to you by someone using Microsoft Outlook.
- The format of the message is Rich Text format (RTF).
This issue is more common when the email message is sent to you over the Internet.
Method 1: Change the default message formatThe sender can change the format of the email messages that they send by using the following steps:
- On the Tools menu, click Options, and then click Mail Format.
- In Compose in this message format, click to select Plain Text, and then click OK.
Method 2: Modify the recipient's entry in the Personal Address BookThe sender can use the following steps to remove the RTF format from the recipient attribute in the Personal Address Book:
- On the Tools menu, click Address Book.
- In Show Names From, click the Personal Address Book.
- Select the addressee that you want to set as plain text, and then click Properties on the File menu.
- In the SMTP-General tab, click to clear the Always send to this recipient in Microsoft Exchange rich text format check box, and then click OK.
Method 3: Change the specific contact formatThe sender can use the following steps to set plain text in the recipient's contact record:
- Open the recipient's record in the Contacts folder.
- Double-click the recipient's e-mail address.
- In the E-Mail Properties dialog box, click Send Plain Text only under Internet Format.
Method 4: Set the Outlook Rich Text Format Internet e-mail setting
- In Outlook 2003 and Outlook 2007, click Options on the Tools menu.
- Click the Mail Format tab.
- Click Internet Format.
- Under Outlook Rich Text options, click either Convert to HTML format or Convert to Plain Text format.