- The issues that the cumulative update fixes.
- The prerequisites for applying the cumulative update
- Whether you must restart the computer after you apply the cumulative update
- Whether the cumulative update is replaced by any other cumulative update
- Whether you must make any changes to the registry
- The files that the cumulative update contains
Issue that this update package fixesThis cumulative update package fixes the following issue:
Microsoft Download CenterThe following file is available for download from the Microsoft Download Center:
Download the MgcServer.msp package now.
Release Date: December 2012
For more information about how to download Microsoft support files, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
PrerequisitesTo apply this update, you must be running the following services:
- Office Communications Server 2007 R2, Group Chat Server - Lookup service / Channel service
- Office Communications Server 2007 R2, Group Chat Server Compliance Server - Compliance service
Restart requirementYou may have to restart the computer after you apply this cumulative update.
Replacement informationThis cumulative update replaces the following cumulative update:
Registry informationTo use one of the cumulative updates in this package, you do not have to make any changes to the registry.
Update installation information
How to install this cumulative update on the Office Communications Server R2, Group Chat ServerTo install this cumulative update on the Office Communications Server R2, Group Chat Server, follow these steps:
- Make sure that the Office Communications Server 2007 R2, Group Chat Server features are installed, configured, and functioning correctly. The Office Communications Server 2007 R2, Group Chat Server servers include the Channel server, the Lookup server, and the Compliance server.
- Stop the currently running Channel service and Lookup service.
- Apply this cumulative update by running the MgcServer.msp package on all the computers that have the Group Chat server role installed.
- On the Group Chat server, open the Server Configuration tool. To do this, use one of the following methods:
- Click Start, click All Programs, and then click Server Config Tool under Administrative Tools.
- At a command prompt, type the following command, and then press Enter:<Drive letter>:\Program Files\Microsoft Office Communications Server 2007 R2\Group Chat Server\ServerConfigTool.exe
- Click Yes when you receive the following message:
Note Shut down all Group Chat servers before you perform this operation. Then, the Server Configuration tool upgrades the existing Group Chat database schema. Additionally, the Server Configuration tool changes the server's configuration files to reflect these changes.
- Restart the Channel service and the Lookup service, and then restart the Compliance server.
How to add a new server into an existing pool after you install this cumulative updateOnly the MSI update (.msp) files are released in the update package. The update package does not include a complete installer. After you run this update on all Office Communications Server 2007 R2, Group Chat Server servers, follow these steps to add another Group Chat server to the existing pool:
- Set up the Office Communications Server 2007 R2, Group Chat Server (Channel server and Lookup server) on a new database by using the same service accounts that the existing pool uses.
- Upgrade to the new Office Communications Server 2007 R2, Group Chat Server installation.
- Stop the Channel service and the Lookup service.
- Run the following command to reconfigure the new servers to point to the Group Chat database pool:<Drive letter>:\Program Files\Microsoft Office Communications Server 2007 R2\Group Chat Server\ServerConfigTool.exe /iNote All services start automatically after you reconfigure the servers.
Removal informationYou cannot uninstall this cumulative update after you install it. If you try to uninstall this update, the Channel service and the Lookup service do not start, and the following error is logged in the event log:
Description : The Server is not compatible with the database at server=<yoursqlservername>;Database=<databasename>;Integrated Security=SSPI
Article ID: 2783873 - Last Review: Dec 14, 2012 - Revision: 1