You may experience any of the following symptoms on your Windows-based client computer:
- During the install or upgrade of a third-party print driver, you may receive the following error messages:
- Operation failed with error 0x00000057
- Printer driver was not installed. Operation could not be completed (error 0x00000057)
- Operation failed with error 0x000005b3
- Operation could not be completed (error 0x00000bc4). No printers were found.
- Windows cannot connect to the printer. Operation could not be completed (error 0x00000002)
- When you try to start or stop the Print Spooler service, you may receive the following error message:
- Spooler subsystem app has encountered a problem and needs to close
- When you click Start, and then click Printers and Faxes in Windows XP, or Devices and Printers in Windows Vista or later, you may receive the following error message:
- Spooler subsystem app has encountered an error and needs to close
- When you click Start, and then click Printers and Faxes in Windows XP, or Devices and Printers in Windows Vista or later to try to view your printers, no printers appear. This issue may occur even if you have printers installed.
This Fix it Solution automates resetting the Print Spooler only for Windows 7 and Windows 2008 R2 Remote Desktop Servers.
The Fix it has two modes: Light and Full. The light mode will make changes to the spooler that should not require the end user to make any changes. The full mode will restore the print spooler to defaults and require a reinstall of print drivers and printers. All applications must be shut down before running the Fix It Solution.
To reset the Print Spooler automatically, click the Fix this problem link. Then click Run in the File Download dialog box, and follow the steps in this wizard.
Microsoft Fix it 50979
Microsoft Fix it 50984
- PowerShell 2.0 is required
- The Fix it will not run on Windows Server that has the Print Role installed
- This wizard may be in English only. However, the automatic fix also works for other language versions of Windows
- If you are not on the computer that has the problem, save the Fix it solution to a flash drive or a CD and then run it on the computer that has the problem.
- A log is created automatically and saved in %windir%\printreset
- The following command line switches are supported if you download the PowerShell script from http://printreset.codeplex.com
- -light Light Mode - Corrects common printing issues
- -full Full mode - Resets spooler service and print registry keys to defaults
- -force Do not prompt for confirmation
- -quiet Do not display console output
For more information about installing print drivers and printer, visit the following Microsoft website:
To reset the Print Spooler on legacy operating systems such as Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 2003, and Windows 2008, use Fix It Solution 9662904.
For more information about the legacy Fix It, see blog http://blogs.technet.com/b/askperf/archive/2012/02/24/microsoft-fixit-for-printing.aspx?Redirected=true
Article ID: 2793718 - Last Review: Oct 26, 2017 - Revision: 1