- Start your computer by using the Windows Me Startup disk.
- At the Startup menu, choose Minimum Boot.
- At the command prompt, type edit c:\windows\system.ini, and then press ENTER.
- Edit the shell= line so that it looks like this:shell=progman.exe
- Press ALT+F, and then press S to save the changes to the System.ini file.
- Press ALT+F, and then press X.
- Remove your Windows Me Startup disk, and then restart your computer. When your computer restarts, Program Manager should start. If Program Manager does not start, repeat steps 1 through 7, being careful to follow these steps exactly, and then continue to the next step.
- On the File menu, click Run, type msconfig in the Command Line box, and then press ENTER.
- Click Launch System Restore to begin restoring your computer to a previous, functional state.
- After you configure your computer to start Program Manager (Progman.exe), you can also start the System Restore tool by typing c:\windows\system\restore\rstrui.exe at a command prompt, and then pressing ENTER.
- If you still cannot use System Restore, repeat steps 1 through 6. In step 4, change the shell= line so that it reads: shell=explorer.exeThis sets the Windows shell back to Explorer.exe so that you can continue troubleshooting.
Article ID: 279736 - Last Review: Jun 19, 2014 - Revision: 1