Note: This tool is not available on a computer that is a member of a Domain.
You can create separate accounts for each person that will be using the computer. This allows each user to have their own document folders and settings such as the wallpaper, Start menu, visual style, and so forth. You can create and configure user accounts with the User Accounts tool in Control Panel.
To open the User Accounts tool, open Control Panel from the Start menu, and then double click User Accounts.
Back to the top
- Click Create a new account in the Pick a task list box.
- Type the name that you want to use for the account, and then click Next.
- Select the desired account type, and then click Create Account.
- Click Change an account in the Pick a task list box.
- Click the account that you want to change.
- Select the item that you would like to change:
- Click Change the name to change the name that appears on the Welcome screen for the account.
- Click Change the picture to change the picture that is used to represent the user account. You can use any image file on the computer for the user's picture.
- Click Change the account type to change the account type to increase or decrease the user's rights on the computer.
- Click Create/change the password to create or change the password for the user and create or change the password hint.
- Click Delete the account to delete the user account from the computer. When you delete the account, you are given the option to save the user's files on the computer.
Note: You can not delete the account for a user that is currently logged on to the computer.
Article ID: 279783 - Last Review: May 22, 2013 - Revision: 1