This article describes how to perform a full-version upgrade of the operating system of a SharePoint Server 2010 or SharePoint Server 2013 server. For example, you can use this procedure when you intend to upgrade from Windows Server 2008 to Windows Server 2008 R2 or Windows Server 2012. If you apply updates that include only cumulative updates or service packs on a SharePoint server, you do not have to use this procedure.
To perform a full-version operating system upgrade on a SharePoint Server 2010 or SharePoint Server 2013 server, follow these steps:
- Make sure that the intended operating system is supported by the version of SharePoint that you are running.
- Detach the content databases from the SharePoint server.
- Uninstall SharePoint through Control Panel.
- Upgrade the operating system.
- Rerun the SharePoint Prerequisite Installer.
- Reinstall SharePoint.
- Attach the content databases.