- You have Windows 8 or Windows 8 Pro installed on your PC.
- Your PC fails to boot into Windows and launches Automatic Repair to attempt to repair Windows.
- Automatic Repair is unable to repair your PC and you select "Advanced options".
- After selecting "Troubleshoot", you choose to either "Refresh your PC" or "Reset your PC".
In this scenario, recovery may fail and you are returned back to the main WinRE screen.
NOTE: Following these steps should only be used if you are attempting to use the "Refresh your PC" or "Reset your PC" options in Windows RE because your system is in a non-bootable state.
- After Automatic Repair fails to repair your PC, select "Advanced options" and then "Troubleshoot".
- Select "Advanced options" and then select "Command Prompt".
- If prompted, enter in the password for the user name.
- At the Command Prompt, go to the \windows\system32\config folder by typing the following command: cd %windir%\system32\config.
- Rename the System and Software registry hives to System.001 and Software.001 by using the following commands:
ren system system.001
ren software software.001
NOTE: Renaming the Software hive will not allow you to use the "Refresh your PC" option. If you want to use the "Refresh your PC" option, only rename the System hive. If the Software hive is also corrupt, you may not be able to use the "Refresh your PC" option.
- Type "exit" without the quotes to exit the Command Prompt and reboot the PC back to the Automatic Repair screen.
- After selecting "Advanced options" and then "Troubleshoot", select either "Refresh your PC" or "Reset your PC".