How to install the appMake sure that you have the latest version of the app installed. The Skype for Business for Android is available for free from Google Play. To install the app, go to https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.microsoft.office.lync15. Users should install the app directly to their device and use their user ID to sign in.
Note The current release for Android smartphones isn't supported on Android media tablets or on other non-phone Android form factors (hardware models). For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
2829747 Android smartphone devices that are supported for use with Skype for Business for Android.
Sign-in requirements for Google AndroidWhen users sign in to the Skype for Business for Android, the sign-in information that's required to successfully authenticate depends on the following scenarios:
- Whether a user’s Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) address is the same as the user’s user principal name (UPN)
- Whether users are hosted on an on-premises Skype for Business (Lync server) or on Skype for Business Online
|User is hosted by||SIP address and UPN||Required fields|
|On-premises Skype for Business Server||SIP address and UPN are the same||Sign-in address: SIP address|
User name: Blank
|On-premises Skype for Business Server||SIP address and UPN are different||Sign-in address: SIP address|
User name: UPN or domain\username
|Office 365||SIP address and UPN are the same||Sign-in address: SIP address|
User Name: Blank
|Office 365||SIP address and UPN are different||Sign-in address: SIP address|
User name: UPN
- Internal discovery address*:
- External discovery address*:
Note : The Sign-in address and Password fields are displayed on the sign-in screen. To access the User name, Domain, Internal discovery address, and External discovery address fields, select Server Settings on the sign-in screen.
Troubleshoot Auto-DetectThe Skype for Business for Android looks for different DNS records than the Skype for Business desktop client. For the Auto-Detect process to discover the correct Skype for Business Online service, a CNAME record that meets the following criteria must be created for the SIP domain that's being used:
|<Your web directory location>Example: Webdir.online.lync.com|
- Use the nslookup command and a public DNS server to determine whether the DNS CNAME record is configured correctly.
- If the user has the option, have the user switch between Wi-Fi and 3G to determine whether the issue can be scoped to one kind of connection. If sign in continues to fail on a 3G data connection, although the CNAME DNS records are configured, it may be an issue with the cellular service provider’s data connection.
- The user receives the following error message:
Cannot connect to the server. It might be unavailable. Also please check your network connection, sign-in address and server addresses.
This error message usually indicates one of the following conditions:
- A DNS lookup issue exists.
- The Auto-Detect CNAME records are configured incorrectly or aren't configured at all.
- The user receives the following error message when the user tries to sign in:
Can’t sign in. Please check your account information and try again.
This error message indicates one of the following conditions:
- The Skype for Business for Android can discover the correct Skype for Business Online server. However, it can't find the sign-in address that was entered by the user.
- The password is incorrect.
If the Wi-Fi connection that's used requires authentication before connecting, Skype for Business may not connect because it can't use the credentials to connect through a proxy. To work around this, connect through the mobile carrier’s data connection instead of Wi-Fi.
The contact list that's displayed in the Skype for Business for Android is read-only and can't be changed from the mobile device. If a user wants to add or remove a contact from the list, the user must use the Skype for Business desktop client or Outlook Web App (OWA) Instant Messaging (IM).
Contact photos are displayed only if they're stored in the global address list (GAL). A contact who specified images through web URLs on the desktop client won't have a photo displayed for the contact.
Chats tab and conversation history
The Chats tab on the Lync mobile client for Google Android only keeps track of the conversations that occurred on the mobile device. It won't display chats from desktop clients. Chats on mobile devices aren't displayed in the conversation history folder in the user’s Exchange mailbox.
The Skype for Business client supports only digest authentication and does not support integrated/ SPNEGO for authenticated proxy.
Some users may repeatedly see a notification with information that their calls are not set up to ring a mobile device. This is a known issue.
Comparison with other mobile clients
For a feature comparison of Skype for Business mobile clients, go to the following Microsoft TechNet website:
Mobile Client Comparison Tables
When users experience an issue with the Skype for Business for Android, they can send logs by email to the technical support engineer. To do this, follow these steps:
- On the Android device, after a user is signed in, press the hardware menu button and tap Options in the menu. On the Options screen, check if the Logging option is turned on. If not, turn on the Logging option, sign out, and then sign in again.
- Reproduce the issue, return to the Options screen, and then tap Send Log Files.
- Select a configured email account.
- In the To box, enter the recipient's email address. In the Subject box, enter a subject, and then tap Send. Logs are attached as a .zip file.
Assume that a new operating system update is released for your device. After you install the update, Skype for Business fails. However, before you installed the update, Skype for Business worked as expected.
Note After commercially reasonable troubleshooting steps are taken, Support may inform the customer that in order to continue, engagement of the manufacturer will be necessary to obtain the correct resources to resolve the issue.
Article ID: 2834018 - Last Review: Jan 13, 2016 - Revision: 1