- You configure a Windows Server 2012 server as a DirectAccess server.
- The DNS server and the domain controllers in the intranet are IP version 4 (IPv4)-only resources.
- You configure a DirectAccess client to ping the DNS server or a domain controller for the Network Connectivity Assistant probe.
Because the DNS server and the domain controllers are IPv4-only resources, the DirectAccess server uses NAT64 and DNS64 for translation during the communication. When an ICMPv6 packet that must be converted to ICMPv4 arrives at NAT64, NAT64 allocates an ICMP ID to the packet. Because of a conflict ID range, when the DirectAccess server also pings the same DNS server or domain controller, the response is sent back to the DirectAccess client.
- NAT64 is a mechanism that allows for the IPv6-based communications from the DirectAccess client to the DirectAccess server to be converted from an IPv6 address to an IPv4 address.
- DNS64 is a mechanism that synthesizes the AAAA records (IPv6 address records) from the A records (address records).
Hotfix informationA supported hotfix is available from Microsoft. However, this hotfix is intended to correct only the problem that is described in this article. Apply this hotfix only to systems that are experiencing this specific problem.
If the hotfix is available for download, there is a "Hotfix Download Available" section at the top of this Knowledge Base article. If this section does not appear, submit a request to Microsoft Customer Service and Support to obtain the hotfix.
Note If additional issues occur or if any troubleshooting is required, you might have to create a separate service request. The usual support costs will apply to additional support questions and issues that do not qualify for this specific hotfix. For a complete list of Microsoft Customer Service and Support telephone numbers or to create a separate service request, visit the following Microsoft website: Note The "Hotfix Download Available" form displays the languages for which the hotfix is available. If you do not see your language, it is because a hotfix is not available for that language.