Microsoft has released Update Rollup 2 for Microsoft Exchange Server 2010 Service Pack 3 (SP3). This update is dated August 13, 2013. This article describes the following information about the update rollup:
- The issues that the update rollup resolves.
- How to obtain the update rollup.
- The prerequisites to install the update rollup.
Issues that the update rollup resolvesUpdate Rollup 2 for Exchange Server 2010 SP3 addresses the vulnerabilities that are described in Microsoft Security Bulletin MS13-061 and resolves the issues that are described in the following Microsoft Knowledge Base (KB) articles:
- 2837926 Error message when you try to activate a passive copy of an Exchange Server 2010 SP3 database: "File check failed"
- 2841150 Cannot change a distribution group that contains more than 1,800 members by using ECP in OWA in an Exchange Server 2010 environment
- 2844232 Outlook Web App crashes in an Exchange Server 2010 environment
- 2850143 Synchronization process fails when you use EAS to connect to a mailbox in Exchange Server 2010
- 2851419 Slow performance in some databases after Exchange Server 2010 is running continuously for at least 23 days
- 2853899 Only the first page of an S/MIME signed or encrypted message is printed by using OWA in an Exchange Server 2010 environment
- 2854376 Microsoft.Exchange.RpcClientAccess.Service.exe process consumes excessive CPU on Client Access servers in an Exchange Server 2010 environment
- 2854564 Messaging Records Management 2.0 policy can't be applied in an Exchange Server 2010 environment
- 2855083 Public Folder contents are not replicated successfully from Exchange Server 2003 or Exchange Server 2007 to Exchange Server 2010
- 2859596 Event ID 4999 when you use a disclaimer transport rule in an environment that has Update Rollup 1 for Exchange Server 2010 SP3 installed
- 2860037 iOS devices cannot synchronize mailboxes in an Exchange Server 2010 environment
- 2861118 W3wp.exe process for the MSExchangeSyncAppPool application pool crashes in an Exchange Server 2010 SP2 or SP3 environment
- 2863310 You cannot send an RTF email message that contains an embedded picture to an external recipient in an Exchange Server 2010 SP3 environment
- 2863473 Users cannot access Outlook mailboxes that connect to a Client Access server array in an Exchange Server 2010 environment
- 2866913 Outlook prompts to send a response to an additional update even though the response request is disabled in an Exchange Server 2010 environment
- 2870028 EdgeTransport.exe crashes when an email message without a sender address is sent to an Exchange Server 2010 Hub Transport server
- 2871758 EdgeTransport.exe process consumes excessive CPU resources on an Exchange Server 2010 Edge Transport server
- 2873477 All messages are stamped by MRM if a deletion tag in a retention policy is configured in an Exchange Server 2010 environment
- 2882627 Transport agents are not loaded when you try to upgrade Exchange Server 2010
- 2882961 Using security groups to set calendar permissions does not work in resource forest in Exchange Server 2010
- 2883368 Events 10003 and 4999 are logged when EdgeTransport.exe crashes in Exchange Server 2010
- 2885036 "The wipe can’t be canceled on the device" error when you cancel the remote wipe for iOS devices in an Exchange Server 2010 environment
- 2885038 Set-CalendarProcessing cmdlet does not add mailbox permissions to universal security groups in Exchange Server 2010
Update rollup informationTo download and install Update Rollup 2 for Exchange Server 2010 SP3, go to the following Microsoft Update website: Note Microsoft Update does not detect update rollups on Exchange Server 2010 mailbox servers that are part of a database availability group (DAG).
To enable you to apply this update rollup in the following scenarios, the update rollup is also available from the Microsoft Download Center:
- Deploy Update Rollup 2 for Exchange Server 2010 SP3 to multiple computers that are running Exchange Server 2010 SP3.
- Deploy Update Rollup 2 for Exchange Server 2010 SP3 to mailbox servers that are part of a DAG.
Important information for customers who install the update on computers that are not connected to the Internet
When you install this update rollup on a computer that is not connected to the Internet, you may experience long installation times. Additionally, you may receive the following message:
This behavior is caused by network requests to connect to the following website:
Creating Native images for .Net assemblies.
These network requests represent attempts to access the certificate revocation list for each assembly that native image generation (NGen) compiles to native code. However, because the Exchange server is not connected to the Internet, each request must wait to time out before the process continues.
To resolve this issue, follow these steps:
- On the Tools menu in Windows Internet Explorer, click Internet Options, and then click the Advanced tab.
- In the Security section, click to clear the Check for publisher's certificate revocation check box, and then click OK.
Update issue on computers that have customized Outlook Web App files
Important Before you apply the update rollup, make a backup copy of any customized Outlook Web App files. For more information about how to customize Outlook Web App, go to the following Microsoft website:
Update issue for CAS Proxy Deployment Guidance customers who deploy CAS-CAS proxying
If you meet both of the following conditions, apply the update rollup on the Internet-facing Client Access servers before you apply the update rollup on the non-Internet-facing Client Access servers:
- You are a CAS Proxy Deployment Guidance customer.
- You have deployed CAS-CAS proxying.
Note For other Exchange Server 2010 configurations, you do not have to apply the update rollup on the servers in any particular order.
For more information about CAS-CAS proxying, go to the following Microsoft website:
PrerequisitesTo apply this update rollup, you must have Exchange Server 2010 SP3 installed.
Important Remove all interim updates for Exchange Server 2010 SP3 before you apply this update rollup.
Restart requirementThe required services are automatically restarted when you apply this update rollup.
Removal informationTo remove Update Rollup 2 for Exchange Server 2010 SP3, use the Add or Remove Programs item in Control Panel to remove update 2866475.
You cannot install or uninstall Update Rollup 2 for Exchange Server 2010 SP3 on a double-byte character set (DBCS) version of Windows Server 2012 if the language preference for non-Unicode programs is set to the default language. To work around this issue, you must first change this setting. To do this, follow these steps:
- In Control Panel, open the Clock, Region and Language item, and then click Region.
- Click the Administrative tab.
- In the Language for non-Unicode programs area, click Change system locale.
- On the Current system locale list, click English (United States), and then click OK.
For more information about terminology that Microsoft uses to describe software updates, click the following article number to go to the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
824684 Description of the standard terminology that is used to describe Microsoft software updates
Article ID: 2866475 - Last Review: Nov 22, 2013 - Revision: 1