- You are using Microsoft System Center 2012 Operations Manager.
- The Application Advisor (AppAdvisor) console is installed on a different computer than the server that is running the SQL reporting services or the server that is hosting the OperationsManagerDW database.
- You are using Kerberos authentication to access AppAdvisor.
AppAdvisor acts as a proxy between SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS) and the front-end server that lets you select certain reports and their parameters. The SQL reporting services have their own authentication model. This model is changed by System Center – Operations Manager during reporting installation. This change introduces an additional hop in the authentication process.
The identity flow for AppAdvisor is as follows.
- From browser to website: The website performs an initial check of the user's identity to determine whether the user is granted access. This check is performed against the System Center data access service.
- From website to SSRS: The user's identity must be forwarded to SSRS because Operations Manager uses SSRS to enforce a separate identify and authorization check against the System Center Data Access service.
- From SSRS to the OperationsManagerDW database: This step uses the SSRS AppPool credentials.
Article ID: 2872367 - Last Review: Aug 15, 2013 - Revision: 1