- You have a computer that is running Windows 8 or Windows Server 2012
- You join the computer to a Domain
- You apply a Group Policy Preference Local Users and Groups to rename the built-in Administrator account.
In this scenario, the group policy preference Local Users and Groups fails to apply and an event similar to the below is logged on the Windows 8 clients or Windows Server 2012 computers:
- Open GPMC with an account which has permissions to modify the Group Policy Object.
- Browse to the following Group Policy Object
Computer Configuration\Preferences\Control Panel Settings\Local Users and Groups
- Right click the Local Users and Groups policy for the built-in account and click Properties
- Uncheck User cannot change password option
- Click Apply and then OK.
If you have multiple Domain Controllers, wait for Active Directory Replication to finish.
- Run gpupdate /force on the client computers