When you install Office XP, by default you also install Internet Explorer 5.01 (version 5.00.2919.6307) if an earlier version is already installed on the computer. If you want to, you can include Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5 (version 5.50.4134.600) with the installation of Office XP. This article describes how to install Internet Explorer 5.5 with Office XP on a computer that is running either Windows 98 or Windows NT 4.0 Workstation.
How to Install Internet Explorer 5.5 with Office XPTo install Internet Explorer 5.5 with Office XP, follow these steps:
- Create an administrative installation point for Office XP.
- On a computer, install Internet Explorer 5.5.
- On that same computer, start the Microsoft Office XP Custom Installation Wizard (CIW).
- On that same computer, install Microsoft Internet Explorer Administrative Kit 5.5 (IEAK), and then upgrade the IEAK that is already installed. You can download IEAK 5.5 from the following Microsoft Web site:
- On the Open the MSI File page of the CIW, locate and select OSP.msi from the \Files\OSP\1033 folder of your administrative installation. Click Next.
- Continue through the pages of the CIW until the
Customize IE 5 Installation Options page is displayed. Click Customize.
The Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5 Customization Wizard (IEAK) starts.
- On the File Locations page of the IEAK wizard, make sure that you specify a folder in your Office administrative installation. For example, you can use the following:path\OfficeXP\Files\OSP\1033\IE55_Cust
- On the Automatic Version Synchronization page of the IEAK Wizard, click Synchronize All.
- Follow the steps on the remaining pages of the IEAK Wizard.
- When you click Finish in the IEAK wizard, the Customize IE 5 Installation Options page of the CIW is displayed again.
- Make sure the path that is specified in the File name and path of Internet Explorer 5 Setup box points to the folder that you specified in the File Locations page of the Internet Explorer Customization Wizard (step 7 earlier in this article). For example, if you specified the following in the Internet Explorer Customization Wizard File Locations page path\OfficeXP\Files\OSP\1033\IE55_Custthe File name and path of Internet Explorer 5 Setup box should have the following:.\IE55_Cust\EN\IE5Setup.exe
- Follow the steps on the remaining pages of the CIW.
- In a text editor like Notepad, open the Setup.ini file from your Office XP administrative installation.
- In the [SystemPackOptions] section of Setup.ini, add a line similar to the following:Transforms=\\server\share\OfficeXP\Custom.mstNOTE: Modify this path to the transform that you created.
- Save your customized Setup.ini file as SetupIE55.ini, and then close Notepad.
NOTE: You can use any name for your customized Setup.ini file.
- Run Setup for Office by using a command line similar to the following: \\server\share\OfficeXP\Setup.exe /settings \\server\share\OfficeXP\Files\Setup\SetupIE55.ini /qbNOTE: The /qb switch combination is not required. It is only recommended because it prevents any customizations from being made during the Office installation.
Article ID: 290555 - Last Review: Jul 31, 2012 - Revision: 1