This article describes the update rollup for Windows RT 8.1 and Windows 8.1 that is dated January 2014. This update package includes performance and reliability improvements. We recommend that you apply this update rollup as part of your regular maintenance routines.
Improvements that this update includesThis update package includes the following improvements:
- Faster Windows Store launch time on Surface RT.
- Fixes an issue in which the fresh apps in the Windows Store Live Tile do not match the apps in the Spotlight.
- Fixes an access violation in Windows Store.
- Fixes an issue in which Windows Store crashes when you change the text or font size from default to larger, or from larger to default.
- Fixes an "Access Denied" error when you try to access Windows Store.
- Fixes an issue in which Windows Store crashes when you change the background color.
- Fixes an issue in which Developer license acquisition fails with a 0xC03F1014 error code.
How to obtain the update
Windows UpdateThis update is available from Windows Update. To obtain this update from Windows Update, follow these steps:
- Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Settings. If you're using a mouse, point to the bottom-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, then click Settings.
- Tap or click Change PC settings, tap or click Update and recovery, then tap or click Windows Update.
- Tap or click Check now.
Microsoft Download Center You can also obtain the standalone update package through the Microsoft Download Center. For more information, go to the Microsoft Download Center, and then search for KB2913270.
The following files are available for download from the Microsoft Download Center:
Note The update for Windows RT 8.1 can be obtained only from Windows Update.
|All supported x86-based versions of Windows 8.1||Download the package now.|
|All supported x64-based versions of Windows 8.1||Download the package now.|
|All supported x64-based versions of Windows Server 2012 R2||Download the package now.|
For more information about how to download Microsoft support files, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
119591 How to obtain Microsoft support files from online servicesMicrosoft scanned this file for viruses. Microsoft used the most current virus-detection software that was available on the date that the file was posted. The file is stored on security-enhanced servers that help prevent any unauthorized changes to the file.
PrerequisitesTo apply this update, you must be running Windows RT 8.1, Windows 8.1 or Windows Server 2012 R2.
Restart informationYou must restart the computer after you apply this update.
Update replacement informationThis update does not replace any previously released update.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section.
For more information about software update terminology, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
824684 Description of the standard terminology that is used to describe Microsoft software updates