- You have a computer that's running Windows Server 2012 R2.
- The computer is running the Server Core installation option.
- The Server Core option was installed by using Volume Licensing media that doesn't have access to Windows Update.
The source files could not be found.
Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information
on specifying a source location, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=243077.
Method 1: Connect to the InternetIf the server can connect to Windows Update for the feature installation, let the server make the connection.
Method 2: Use Windows Server 2012 R2 installation mediaIf the server cannot connect to Windows Update, download the new Volume Licening media (released on December 11, 2013) and use the Install-WindowsFeature PowerShell command. To do this, follow these steps:
- Insert the updated Windows Server 2012 R2 DVD into the computer's DVD drive.
- Type the following command to determine the index number that's required for steps 3 and 4.Note In this command, <drive> represents the actual drive letter.
Dism /get-wiminfo /wimfile:<drive>:\sources\install.wim
Example output from the DISM command:Note When you specify the <index> number in the Install-WindowsFeature PowerShell cmdlet in step 4, you must use the index number for the full (non-core) version of the SKU that you currently have installed. For example, if you have Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter installed, the required index number is 4. If you have Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard installed, the required index number is 2.
Index : 1
Name : Windows Server 2012 R2 SERVERSTANDARDCORE
Description : Windows Server 2012 R2 SERVERSTANDARDCORE
Size : 6,653,342,051 bytes
Index : 2
Name : Windows Server 2012 R2 SERVERSTANDARD
Description : Windows Server 2012 R2 SERVERSTANDARD
Size : 11,807,528,410 bytes
Index : 3
Name : Windows Server 2012 R2 SERVERDATACENTERCORE
Description : Windows Server 2012 R2 SERVERDATACENTERCORE
Size : 6,653,031,430 bytes
Index : 4
Name : Windows Server 2012 R2 SERVERDATACENTER
Description : Windows Server 2012 R2 SERVERDATACENTER
Size : 11,809,495,151 bytes
- Open a PowerShell command prompt by typing the following command:
- Type the following PowerShell command, in which <drive> represents the location of the Windows Server 2012 R2 installation files and <index> represents the numbered index from step 2:For example: If your media is on drive F, and you are installing the full version of Datacenter, enter the following command:
Install-WindowsFeature Server-Gui-Mgmt-Infra,Server-Gui-Shell –Source wim:<drive>:\sources\install.wim:<index>
Install-WindowsFeature Server-Gui-Mgmt-Infra,Server-Gui-Shell –Source wim:f:\sources\install.wim:4
Article ID: 2913316 - Last Review: Dec 18, 2013 - Revision: 1