- You configure the Turn off hard disk after setting to a time interval in Windows 8.1 or Windows Server 2012 R2.
Note To change the setting, click the Change advanced power settings link under Power Options.
- You connect a Universal Serial Bus (USB) storage device to the computer.
- You let the storage device idle for the time interval that you configured in Power Options.
- The USB storage device periodically disconnects and might reconnect.
- If you try to access the files on the device, Windows Explorer becomes unresponsive for one to two minutes.