Consider the following scenario:
- You configure the Turn off hard disk after setting to a time interval in Windows 8.1 or Windows Server 2012 R2.
Note To change the setting, click the Change advanced power settings link under Power Options.
- You connect a Universal Serial Bus (USB) storage device to the computer.
- You let the storage device idle for the time interval that you configured in Power Options.
- The USB storage device periodically disconnects and might reconnect.
- If you try to access the files on the device, Windows Explorer becomes unresponsive for one to two minutes.
This issue occurs because the device cannot resume from a suspended state that was started by the selective suspend mechanism in Windows.
Update informationTo resolve this issue, install update rollup 2911106. For more information about how to obtain this update rollup package, click the following article number to go to the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
2911106 Windows RT 8.1, Windows 8.1, and Windows Server 2012 R2 update rollup: January 2014
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section.
For more information about software update terminology, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
824684 Description of the standard terminology that is used to describe Microsoft software updates