NOTE: The procedures in this article only apply if you have installed Outlook with the Corporate or Workgroup option. With this option, you can use Messaging Application Programming Interface (MAPI) services. To determine your installation type, click About Microsoft Outlook on the Help menu. If you have the Corporate or Workgroup installation, you see "Corporate or Workgroup".
This article describes how an Administrator can set up a server-side rule by using Outlook 2000 for a Microsoft Exchange mailbox that is only used to accept messages and automatically reply with a specific message.
How to Define a Rule to Send an Automatic Reply
- On the Tools menu, click Rules Wizard.
- In the Rules Wizard dialog box, click New.
- Under Which type of rule do you want to create, click the Check messages when they arrivecheck box, and then click Next.
- Under Which condition(s) do you want to check, click to select the Sent Only To Me check box, or any other criteria that you want, and then click Next.
- Under What do you want to do with the message, click to select the have server reply using a specific message check box.
- Under Rule Description, click the underlined phrase a specific message. If this is the first time that you have created a server-side rule, click Yes when you receive the following prompt: You are creating a rule that will be incompatible with versions of Outlook earlier than Outlook 2000. If you create this rule, you cannot use your rules with Outlook 98 and earlier versions. For more information, search for help on "Upgrading Rules." Are you sure you want to create this ruleNOTE: This prompt only occurs once. If you use these steps again, you will not receive this prompt.
- In the Rule Description, click a specific message.
- In the untitled message View menu, type the subject and the message body that you want to be sent, and then click Save and Close.
- Complete the Rule Wizard instructions, click Finish and then click OK.
218316 "There is not enough space" error message when you save server-side reply rule in Outlook 2000
181636 XFOR: Rule For Forwarding To Internet Address Does Not Work
Article ID: 291956 - Last Review: Dec 13, 2004 - Revision: 1