To perform an in-place upgrade of Windows 2000, follow these steps:
- Insert the Windows 2000 Setup CD into the CD-ROM drive, start the computer, and then press a key to start from the CD-ROM.
- On the Windows 2000 Setup screen, press ENTER to run the To set up Windows 2000 now, press Entercommand.
- Press the F8 key to accept the License Agreement.
- Setup should now detect your installation.
Note If the Setup program does not detect a previous installation but just continues to the partitioning screen, there is a problem. An in-place upgrade may not be possible.
- When you are prompted to repair the existing Windows 2000 installation, press R. Windows 2000 Setup performs an in-place upgrade of the existing installation. Note that you might lose some of your customized settings for the system files.
Article ID: 292175 - Last Review: Dec 16, 2009 - Revision: 1