About the new features that are enabled for the Windows Store
- A persistent navigation bar now appears at the top of the screen. Users can now use the mouse or keyboard to quickly browse to recommendation lists (such as Top Free, Top Paid, Top Grossing, Best Rated, and Picks for You), Collections, or account information.
- App collections have a more prominent placement in the navigation. There is a new Collections page that lists all available app collections. A small set of collections is highlighted on the home page. Collections are also displayed in search results. Additionally, for certain collections, users will be offered an Install All choice that lets them obtain all the apps in that collection in one step.
- A universal apps badge has been added to Windows Store apps that can be purchased only one time and that can then be used on both Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1.
- Discount information is now displayed for apps on the home page, search results, lists, and description pages.
- App description page improvements:
- Users can take larger screen shots of the UI to improve the view of the app for other users that are not currently using it.
- Universal applications are clearly identified together with any hardware requirements. .
- Promotional pricing and expiration information is displayed next to the Buy button.
- The list of recommended apps that is offered to the user post-acquisition is improved to make them more relevant.
- A supplemental privacy shortcut has been added to the apps description page in the charms.
- An improved hardware-targeting feature filters touch-required apps out of the Windows Store live tile, Spotlight, and "Picks for You" parts of the Store if the computer does not support touch. These apps are still viewable in other parts of the Store. Therefore, when you select a touch-required app on a computer that does not support touch, you receive a warning to indicate that the computer does not have the correct hardware to run the app.
About the new features that are enabled for the Windows Update
- Windows Update integrates with SleepStudy to provide improved diagnostic information.
- Improvements to performance, resiliency, and support for authenticated proxies have been added in Windows Update.
How to obtain this update
Windows UpdateThis update is available from Windows Update.
Microsoft Download CenterThe following files are available for download from the Microsoft Download Center:
Note The update for Windows RT 8.1 can be obtained only from Windows Update.
|All supported x86-based versions of Windows 8.1||Download the package now.|
|All supported x64-based versions of Windows 8.1||Download the package now.|
|All supported x64-based versions of Windows Server 2012 R2||Download the package now.|
For more information about how to download Microsoft support files, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
119591 How to obtain Microsoft support files from online servicesMicrosoft scanned this file for viruses. Microsoft used the most current virus-detection software that was available on the date that the file was posted. The file is stored on security-enhanced servers that help prevent any unauthorized changes to the file.
PrerequisitesTo apply this update, you must be running Windows 8.1 or Windows Server 2012 R2, and have update 2919355 installed.
Registry informationTo apply this update, you do not have to make any changes to the registry.
Restart requirementYou may have to restart the computer after you apply this update.
Update replacement informationThis update does not replace a previously released update.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section.
For more information about software update terminology, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
824684 Description of the standard terminology that is used to describe Microsoft software updates
Article ID: 2956575 - Last Review: Jul 2, 2014 - Revision: 1
Windows 8.1 Enterprise, Windows 8.1 Pro, Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter, Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials, Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard, Windows Server 2012 R2 Foundation, Windows RT 8.1