Issues that are fixed
- The Continue on error check box is not selected under Task Sequences when an Install Software step and a Virtual Application package are defined as the source. This affects only task sequences that are migrated from Configuration Manager 2007 to System Center 2012 Configuration Manager.
- The Task Sequence Agent (TSAgent) does not use the logging-related values that are set in the following registry subkey on a client computer:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\CCM\Logging
- 2961924 A command-line action that has a linked package doesn’t start in System Center 2012 Configuration Manager
- 2923078 Reporting Services installation fails on System Center 2012 Configuration Manager Service Pack 1 that has SQL Server 2014 installed
- 2931044 Discovery Data Manager slows when it rebuilds .ncf files on startup in System Center 2012 Configuration Manager Service Pack 1
- Applications cannot be changed or copied after they are migrated from one System Center 2012 Configuration Manager site to another site. Messages that resemble the following are logged in the Distmgr.log file after you try to make changes:Package <PkgID> is in Pending state and will not be processed
- 2952686 You cannot install an application by using stand-alone media in System Center 2012 Configuration Manager Service Pack 1
Configuration Manager client
- The SMS Agent Host service may stop unexpectedly in an environment that uses multiple overlapping boundary groups that are configured for automatic site assignment. The ScanAgent.log file contains an entry that resembles the following:[FATAL ERROR] Invalid params exception was raised.
- When you view the Primary Device that is associated with a user, you may see other devices that have the same name, even if they are associated with a different user.
Additional changes that are included in this update
Cloud-based distribution points
- Newly created cloud-based distribution points use a "Family 2" (Windows Server 2008 R2) Guest operating system. Existing cloud-based distribution points can be upgraded to Family 2 by using the Microsoft Azure portal.
Additionally, a possible race condition that affects distribution point status is resolved. To learn about this issue, see the following System Center Configuration Manager Team Blog article:
- This update adds Ubuntu version 14.04 to the list of supported platforms for software distribution.
The non-Windows client update that provides the corresponding Ubuntu support is available from the Microsoft Download Center. Learn about this non-Windows Client update for System Center 2012 Configuration Manager.
- Mac OS X 10.9 is added to list of supported platforms for software distribution and configuration items.
- This cumulative update includes an updated version of the Endpoint Protection client. For more information, see the following Microsoft TechNet blogs:
- Anti-malware platform updates for Forefront Endpoint Protection/System Center Endpoint Protection will be released to Microsoft Update
- FEP and SCEP anti-malware protection support after OSes reach end-of-life
How to obtain Cumulative Update 5 for System Center 2012 Configuration Manager SP1A supported update is available from Microsoft Support. However, this update is intended to correct only the problems that are described in this article. Apply this update only to systems that are experiencing the problems described in this article. This update might receive additional testing. Therefore, if you are not severely affected by these problems, we recommend that you wait for the next service pack that contains this update.
If the update is available for download, there is a "Hotfix download available" section at the top of this Knowledge Base article. If this section does not appear, contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support to obtain the update.
Note If additional issues occur or if any troubleshooting is required, you might have to create a separate service request. The usual support costs will apply to additional support questions and issues that do not qualify for this specific update. For a complete list of Microsoft Customer Service and Support telephone numbers or to create a separate service request, go to the following Microsoft website: Note The "Hotfix download available" form displays the languages for which this update is available. If you do not see your language, it is because an update is not available for that language.
More information about this cumulative updateThis update contains changes first introduced with Cumulative Update 3 that affect operating system boot images. If boot images have not been updated since that release, follow the steps below:
- In the Configuration Manager console, click Software Library.
- In the Software Library workspace, expand Operating Systems, and then click Boot Images.
- Select the boot image that you want to update.
- Right-click and then select the Update Distribution Points action.
Note This action updates all distribution points and may have an adverse effect on an environment that contains many distribution points.
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 for all boot images that were previously distributed.
Restart informationYou do not have to restart the computer after you apply this update.
Note We recommend that you close the Configuration Manager Administrator Console and any associated applications such as the Remote Control Viewer or Status Message viewer before you install this update.
You may be prompted to restart the computer to which the Administrator Console update is being applied if the Remote Control Viewer (CmRCViewer.exe) is being used during the update process.
This can be avoided by closing the Remote Control Viewer before you install the update, or by adding the REBOOT=ReallySuppress parameter to the update installation properties.
Update replacement informationThis update replaces Cumulative Update 4 for System Center 2012 Configuration Manager Service Pack 1.
How to determine the installation status of this cumulative updateThis cumulative update changes the following Configuration Manager version numbers and installation properties.
Site systemsThe CULevel value is located under the following registry subkey:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SMS\Setup
Note The CULevel value is set to 5 for Cumulative Update 5.
Administrator ConsoleThe version that is displayed in the About System Center Configuration Manager dialog is 5.0.7804.1600.
ClientThe version that is displayed on the General tab of the Configuration Manager Control Panel item or the Client Version field of device properties in the Administrator Console is 5.00.7804.1600.
Endpoint Protection ClientThis update brings the anti-malware client version to 4.5.0216.0. You can find the version information by clicking About on the Help menu of the Endpoint Protection client UI.
New cumulative update servicing model for System Center 2012 Configuration Manager
Learn about the terminology that Microsoft uses to describe software updates.
Article ID: 2978017 - Last Review: Apr 26, 2017 - Revision: 4