- The printer driver does not use Plug and Play for its installation.
- The following registry key has become damaged:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\LPTENUM
To resolve this problem, contact the manufacturer of your printer for an updated driver or specific instructions about how to complete the Found New Hardware Wizard for your particular printer.
For example, visit the following HP Web site for information about HP printers:
- Log on to your computer by using an administrator account.
- Click Start, and then click Run.
- In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
- Locate and click the following registry key:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\LPTENUM
- Right-click the registry key, and then click Delete.
- Under Confirm Key Delete, click Yes.
- Close Registry Editor, and then restart your computer.
Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.
Article ID: 298370 - Last Review: Oct 22, 2008 - Revision: 1