Consider the following scenario:
- You have a Microsoft Office Excel workbook on a network share folder.
- The name of the share folder starts with a specific Japanese character.
- You try to open the Excel workbook in Windows 8.1, Windows RT 8.1, Windows Server 2012 R2.
- If you use Excel 2003 to open the workbook, Excel 2003 freezes for several seconds before the workbook is opened.
- If you create a shortcut to open the workbook, Excel freezes more than 30 seconds before the workbook is opened.
- If you enable the WebClient service under Services in Administrative Tools in Control Panel, then you open the workbook and select empty cells, the system freezes for several seconds.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section.