When you try to set up email for an Office 365 user in Outlook, you receive the following error message:
An encrypted connection to your mail services is not available
This is a general connectivity error that may occur for different reasons. This error typically occurs when one or more of the following conditions are true:
- An incorrect user name, password, or both were entered for the user account.
- Autodiscover issues prevent Outlook from detecting the correct Exchange Online information for the user account.
- Network connectivity issues prevent Outlook from communicating with the Exchange Online servers.
- Exchange Online restrictions prevent Outlook from connecting to the Exchange Online servers.
Go to the Office365 Outlook Connectivity Guided Walkthrough, select the User Mailbox (most common scenario) option, and then select the Unable to configure profile option. Most Outlook user profile issues can be resolved by following these steps.
In addition to following the steps in the guided walkthrough, admins should verify that MAPI is enabled for their Exchange Online organization. MAPI is required for Outlook to connect to Exchange Online. To make sure that MAPI is enabled, follow these steps:
- Connect to Exchange Online using remote PowerShell.
- Run the following command:
Set-CASMailbox User@contoso.com -MAPIEnabled $True