For example, you experience this issue when you use an identity sync client such as Azure AD Connect, Azure Active Directory Sync Services (Azure AD Sync), or the Azure Active Directory Sync Tool.
If you're using Azure AD Connect or Azure AD SyncThe wizard displays the following configuration error message:
We have gathered enough information to configure Azure AD Sync and will now create a default configuration.
Failed even after 5 retries. Action: PingProvisioningServiceEndPoint, Exception: Unable to communicate with the Windows Azure Active Directory service. Tracking ID: 01601250-7951-469c-8973-34e2a8e1ca10 See the event log for more details.
If you're using the Azure Active Directory Sync ToolThe following Directory Synchronization event ID 0 is logged in the Application log of the identify sync client computer:
Source: Directory Synchronization
Event ID: 0
Task Category: None
Unable to establish a connection to the authentication service. Contact Technical Support. GetAuthState() failed with -2147186688 state. HResult:0. Contact Technical Support. (0x80048862)
Additionally, a Network Monitor (Netmon.exe) trace indicates that the Microsoft Online Services Sign-in Assistant uses the proxy and accesses login.microsoftonline.com.
- Open the following file:C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\Config\machine.config
- Add the following text to the end of the file:
<system.net> <defaultProxy> <proxy usesystemdefault="true" proxyaddress="http://<PROXYIP>:80" bypassonlocal="true" /> </defaultProxy> </system.net>Note In this text, the placeholder <PROXYIP> represents the actual proxy IP address. For more information about the proxy settings in this context, see
Element (Network Settings).
- 318140 Error on .NET client that consumes a web service through an HTTP proxy server
- 307220 How to configure an XML web service client by using the .NET Framework to work with a proxy server
- 330221 Common proxy server and firewall issues with MapPoint web services
- 953890 Error message when you try to configure the Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 Online client for Outlook or the Data Migration client for Microsoft Dynamics CRM Online: "Mandatory updates for Microsoft Dynamics CRM could not be applied successfully"
Article ID: 3013032 - Last Review: Dec 22, 2015 - Revision: 1