- Customer Online submission portals
- Step by step: Using Access and Contract IDs to submit an on-premises / hybrid support request
- Azure Support using Access and Contract IDs
- Additional resources
This article explains how an Access ID and a Contract ID are used to submit on-premises professional support incidents online. The example used is for Microsoft Partner Network product support incidents. However, the workflow is very similar for Visual Studio and Software Assurance.
Online submission is convenient because you may submit a request anytime (24 hours a day, 7 days a week), avoid a phone menu and phone queue, find relevant self-help resources, and enter a detailed problem description, including attachments, to help solve your technical problem faster.
Access ID and Contract ID are used for professional on-premises and Microsoft Azure technical support requests.
A support contract is required when you have multiple professional support incidents. The contract is used to track the balance of available support incidents and expire the benefits after one year (MPN contracts 1 year+30 days). An Access ID and a Contract ID are required to uniquely identify your support contract and enable you to submit a support incident online. They are only entered once and then associated with your portal sign-in for future requests. To share your support benefits, simply share the Access ID and Contract ID (sharing sign-in and passwords is not recommended).
MPN Partners see 4020188 Technical Support for Microsoft Partners
Customer Online submission portals
Access ID and Contract ID
Any on-premises product
Create a support request and click Get started.
1. Product selection, 2. Issue details, then 3. Support plan to add contract or purchase a support incident
Any MSA / AAD sign-in and Access ID + Contract ID to add a support contract
MSA Sign-in and a credit card to purchase Pay Per Incident (PPI) support incidents
Required for support contracts
Microsoft Office 365, Intune, EMS
Office portal sign-in
Azure subscription sign-in
Access ID and Contract ID or Azure support plan
Required for support contracts
|Dynamics 365|| |
Customer Engagement, Business Central, etc use Power Platform and new support request
Finance and Operations, Retail or Talent use Lifecycle services - see DOCS
Dynamics subscription sign-inAccess ID and Contract ID or Dynamics support plan
Required for support contracts
To submit a request online for a supported on-premises product, sign-in to the Support for Business portal using an MSA or AAD account, then Create a support request and click Get started. Follow the steps in the New support request workflow: 1. Product selection, 2. Issue details and 3. Support plan is where you Add Contract or click Buy now for Pay Per Incident (PPI)*.
*Pay Per Incident is not currently available for an AAD sign-in, please use an MSA Sign-in eg Outlook.com for Pay Per Incident (More info).
Note: The support contract / support plan will not be displayed if:
- The support contract has expired (after 1 year + 30 days)
- There are no available support incidents
- The product version is not enabled for your support contract / support plan*
- If you see “An error occurred while attempting to add the specified support plan …” or there is no response to adding the Access ID and Contract ID. Please see 4023619 for more information.
New On-Premises Support request
Important: Browser country is used to route the support incident. Scroll to the end of the page and if your country is not listed, select the nearest country with the relevant language. For example, if the URL has the locale EN-US it will route to a United States support team and the request will be worked during USA business hours and days. EN-US would not be suitable for English speaking customers outside USA time zones.
1. Product Selection: https://support.microsoft.com/supportforbusiness/productselection Select the product, version, category, problem and click Next.
2. Issue Details: Please include a full and detailed description of the problem. A good problem description will enable support to give you an improved initial response.
Note: You can also ''Upload your files'' with more details after the request is created.
3. Support Plan: View the contracts associated with your Sign-in account and select an existing support plan. Add Contract or purchase a support plan.
There are 3 expandable sections and a link to Learn more about Microsoft support for business.
1. Select a support plan
This is where your current support contracts are available for selection; if they are valid for the selected product version.
Note: You can see the incidents remaining. See the image below, 17 of 20 incidents remaining, start date, end date.
2. Unavailable support plans
This section is only displayed if there are problems with a contract associated with your account. If you do not see a support plan that your previously used or you added a contract and it is not displayed under select a support plan. Please expand this section.
If you see Support plan cannot be used for support on the specified product (Code:8). The product version you selected is not entitled for your support contract. You cannot use your support contract and need to buy support for the product version you selected – see aka.ms/n-1.
Note: You can see the incidents remaining. See the image below, 2 of 5 incidents remaining for Partner Signature 5pack and 13 of 15 for Partner support Silver 15pack, also start date, end date.
Note: Partner Signature is only entitled for Cloud products.
See 4023619 for more information.
3. Add or purchase a support plan
You can add a support contract (using access ID and Contract ID) or purchase support incidents.
a. Click Add contract to associate a new support contract
b. Click buy now for Single or 5-pack incident purchase
a. Click "Add contract" to associate a new support contract
Click Add contract to associate a new support contract to your current Sign-in. You will only need to enter the Access ID and Contract ID once because the support contract is associated with your sign-in and automatically available next time you use the workflow.
To see your Access ID and Contract ID in Partner Center or request contract activation see 2904733.
- If you do not see your support plan listed, please expand and review the "Unavailable support plans section”. This occurs most commonly when the product version selected is not supported - see aka.ms/n-1.
- If the "Unavailable support plans section” is not displayed or your contract is not displayed, you may need to close the browser session and restart before the new support plan is refreshed.
- If you add an existing support contractor the same contract twice you will see an error message “The support plan details provided have already been mapped to the logged in user.
b. Click "Buy Now >" for Single or 5-pack incident purchase
If you need to purchase a support incident click the Buy Now option button and use a credit card to purchase support.
The 5-pack is not available in all regions. You are recommended to purchase a single incident because all incidents purchased must be used within 1 year.
Fill out your credit card details to associate the payment to your current sign-in account. To change your settings, go to account.microsoft.com.
When the Credit card has been saved, use to purchase the support incident. As stated in the workflow "You will be charged immediately. This transaction is subject to the Microsoft Services Agreement." To change your settings, go to account.microsoft.com.
- Pay Per Incident is not currently available for an AAD sign-in, please use an MSA Sign-in eg Outlook.com for Pay Per Incident (In the workflow click Learn more)
If you see an incorrect currency displayed, for example $ instead of your local currency such as Euro or £. Check the locale by scrolling to the end of the page and selecting a different country / region.
4. Select the severity of the issue based on the business impact and if you will work during business hours only.
As a guideline
Severity A – you are prepared to work 24 hours a day 7 days a week and you have a critical business down production server, service or application
Severity B – you will work during business hours only and the issue has the potential to cause a company-wide work stoppage or you cannot deploy on schedule
Severity C - you will work during business hours only and the issue will not cause a major company-wide work stoppage
Note: the Business hours are based on the browser country eg en-us is United States. Scroll to the end of the page and if your country is not listed, select the nearest country with the relevant language
5. You have the option to add multiple contacts to the support request and change the primary contact.
6. Review the support request.
7. Click change to modify any items (eg Change the primary contact, severity).
8. Click Submit to create your request.
Note: “Upload your files” allows you to add or remove files at any time.
9. Click View my support requests to see request that you have submitted.
10. Click the Title to view your request.
11. You have the option to Manage files, add New messages or view communications related to your request and add / change the primary contact.
- Create your Azure support incident via https://portal.azure.com.
- Make sure you use the appropriate sign-in for your customer’s subscription.
- Help +support
Select Help + Support, Support Plans, then link support benefits
- Click the New support request tile.
- Select Issue type eg Technical, Subscription, and Service. Support plan will display any Support benefit you previously added via Link support contract.
- Solutions will provide suggestions that may help you to resolve the issue yourself
- Support plan will display any Support benefit you previously added via Link support benefits
- CSP who start from Partner Center will automatically see the Cloud Solution Provider support plan.
- Partners with Advanced Support for Partners should select their Advanced Support for Partners Support Plan.
- Cloud Competency partners should use Partner Signature Unlimited and non-cloud competency partners should use Signature 10pack or 5pack. When the Signature 10pack or 5pack incidents are all used the support plan will no longer be displayed. Then competency partners should use their Partner Support Gold 20pack or Silver 15pack incidents
- Network members with an Action pack subscription should use Partner support MAPS 10pack.
- After selecting a support, select Severity, Problem type, Details, Time frame and upload a file if required
- Review + Create gives you a final opportunity to review information before you click Create
- Click Help+ Support, All support requests to see the new or existing request
For step-by-step guidance, see the Azure section of Technical Support for Microsoft Partners
- Microsoft Partner Network portal
- Microsoft Partner Network technical benefits summary
- Technical Support for Microsoft Partners
- Microsoft Partner Network Support contract activation and Access ID in Partner Center