This security update for Microsoft Lync 2013 includes the new Skype for Business client.
- The download page will still display this update as being for Lync 2013.
- After you apply this May 12, 2015, security update, Lync 2013 will be upgraded to Skype for Business. Get the general information about the new experience in Skype for Business.
- You can still use the Lync client user interface after you apply this update for Lync 2013 (Skype for Business). Get the general information about how to switch between the Skype for Business and the Lync client user interfaces for Office 365 users and Lync Server 2013 users.
- For individual, small business, and organizational users: Use the Windows automatic updating feature to install the fixes from Microsoft Update. To do this, see Get security updates automatically on the Microsoft Safety and Security Center website.
- For IT professionals: See Microsoft Security Bulletin MS15-044 on the Security TechCenter website.
How to get help and support for this security update
Help for installing updates: Protect yourself online
Help for protecting your Windows-based computer from viruses and malware: Microsoft Security
Local support according to your country: International Support
More information about this security updateTo enable this Lync 2013 security update, make sure that the following updates are installed:
MSOLYNCHELPLOCOffice 2013 SP1Office 2013 Language Pack SP1
Known issuesAfter you install this security update, you may experience the issues that are described in the following Microsoft Knowledge Base articles:
- KB 3051158 "Help isn't working" error occurs when you open the "Skype for Business Help" window in Skype for Business
- KB 3051516 "Copy" and "Select All" menu items are disabled for the first instant message in a conversation in Skype for Business
- KB 3053114 Cannot open links without the "http://" prefix and the links that are to a OneNote page in Skype for Business
- KB 3051160 Cannot join meetings by using Lync 2010 after you install OneDrive for Business
- KB 3053998 Memory leak occurs when you transfer a file that is larger than 5 megabytes (MB) in a conversation in Skype for Business
- KB 3063382 Non-English localized strings are not updated in Outlook after you apply security update 3039779 for Skype for Business
- KB 3063390 Arabic text is not right-to-left aligned in meeting invitation body when you create a Skype for Business online meeting
Improvements and fixesThis security update provides improvements that are described in the following article:
- May 12, 2015, security update for Skype for Business (Lync 2013) changes text strings in Outlook add-in
- KB 3057563 Outgoing calls are disconnected in Skype for Business or Lync 2013 when you press the Spacebar or the Enter key
- KB 3057559 Skype for Business or Lync 2013 client certificates do not begin to renew within the correct time before they expire
- KB 3057558 User interface is misaligned in tabbed conversation that is created after an RCC user ends a call in Skype for Business
- KB 3057556 "An error occurred during this screen presentation" error occurs in application sharing conference in Skype for Business
- KB 3057551 Cannot paste an image into an instant message in Skype for Business when you copy the image from Internet Explorer
- KB 3057550 Update enables users to copy instant messages without author name and time stamp in Skype for Business (Lync 2013)
- KB 3057549 The "Allow with URL" feature does not work in a client policy for Skype for Business in a Lync Server 2013 environment
- KB 3057548 Buttons are not displayed on sharing toolbar when you use full screen in a sharing session in Skype for Business
- KB 3057546 Lync 2013 does not show AD DS user's display name in the toast notification of the first incoming PSTN call
- KB 3057545 HYPERLINK "" is displayed as a prefix of a pasted text in Notepad when you copy the text from Skype for Business
- KB 3057518 Presence status of a contact isn't updated in your Skype for Business after the contact disconnects from network
- KB 3057517 Contact card appears when you click a URL that contains the "@" character in a received message in Skype for Business
- KB 3057516 Skype contacts can see your presence status after you remove them from contact list in Skype for Business
- KB 3054008 CPU usage increases largely when you have multiple animated emoticons in conversations in Skype for Business
- KB 3051517 Receiver cannot open or save transferred files in a chat room in Skype for Business
- KB 3064056 Skype for Business that is connected to a wireless network crashes during an audio/video or application sharing session
Restart informationYou may have to restart the computer after you install this security update.
In some cases, this update does not require a restart. If the required files are being used, this update will require a restart. If this behavior occurs, a message is displayed that advises you to restart the computer.
To help reduce the possibility that a restart will be required, stop all affected services and close all applications that may use the affected files before you install this security update.
Learn about why you may be prompted to restart your computer after you install a security update on a Windows-based computer.
Important We do not recommend that you remove any security update.
To remove this security update, use the Add or Remove Programs item or use the Programs and Features item in Control Panel.
Note When you remove this security update, you may be prompted to insert the disc that contains Microsoft Lync 2013. Additionally, you may not have the option to uninstall this security update from the Add or Remove Programs item or the Programs and Features item in Control Panel. There are several possible causes of this issue.
General information about how to uninstall Office updates.