- In SharePoint Online, you share a folder on a site collection with a user.
- You click Activate to enable Limited-access user permission lockdown mode for a SharePoint Online site collection.
Note You may have previously enabled this feature, or it may have been enabled because it's required for other features that you're using, such as Publishing sites.
- When the user browses to the shared folder, or to a file or a folder within the shared folder, he or she receives one of the following messages:Access DeniedYou need permission to access this site.
- Share individual files but not folders.
- Share a whole site collection or subsite.
- If your site doesn't require Limited-access user permission lockdown mode, deactivate this site collection feature.
Note Other features such as publishing may require this feature to work correctly.
What is "Limited Access" permission?The Limited Access permission level is unusual. It lets a user or group browse to a site page or library to access a specific content item without seeing the whole list. For example, when you share a single item in a list or library with a user who doesn't have permission to open or edit any other items in the library, SharePoint automatically grants limited access to the parent list. This lets the user see the specific item that you shared. In other words, the Limited Access permission level includes all the permissions that the user must have to access the required item.
For more information about site collection features that includes Limited-access user permission lockdown mode, see Enable or disable site collection features.
Article ID: 3039997 - Last Review: Dec 21, 2016 - Revision: 1