Note Office 2016 does not require the installation of an update. However, you still must add the DontUseScreenDpiOnOpen value to the system registry for these versions.
For Office 2013, install Microsoft Office 2013 Service Pack 1 (SP1). For information about this update, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
For Office 2010, install the April 9, 2013 Word 2010 hotfix package. For information about this update, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Follow the steps in this section carefully. Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Before you modify it, back up the registry for restoration in case problems occur.
To add the DontUseScreenDpiOnOpen value to the registry, follow these steps:
- Exit Outlook.
- Start Registry Editor. To do this, use one of the following procedures, as appropriate for your version of Windows.
- Windows 10, Windows 8.1 and Windows 8: Press Windows Key + R to open a Run dialog box. Type regedit.exe and then press OK.
- Windows 7: Click Start, type regedit.exe in the search box, and then press Enter.
- Locate and then select the following registry subkey:HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\x.0\Word\Options
Note The x.0 placeholder represents your version of Office (16.0 = Office 2016, 15.0 = Office 2013, 14.0 = Office 2010).
- On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
- Type DontUseScreenDpiOnOpen, and then press Enter.
- In the Details pane, right-click DontUseScreenDpiOnOpen, and then click Modify.
- In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK.
- Exit Registry Editor.
Article ID: 3042197 - Last Review: Mar 21, 2016 - Revision: 1