- A third-party backup utility or an antivirus program interferes with the installation of Windows XP.
- A file that Windows Product Activation requires is manually modified.
Method 1Note Follow this method if this error occurred after an upgrade from Windows 98 Second Edition.
Boot from the Windows XP CD-ROM, and then perform an in-place upgrade repair and use a valid product key.
For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
You can also resolve this problem by uninstalling Windows XP and reinstalling the operating system that you were running before you upgraded to Windows XP. For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Method 2To resolve the problem, repair the installation of Microsoft Windows XP by using the Windows XP CD, and then replace the files. To do so, follow these steps:
- Insert the Windows XP CD in the CD drive or DVD drive, and then restart your computer. When you receive the following message, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD:
Note Your computer must be configured to start from the CD drive or DVD drive. For more information about how to configure your computer to start from the CD drive or DVD drive, see the documentation that came with your personal computer or contact the manufacturer.
- When you receive the following message, press R to start the Recovery Console:
- Press 1 to access your primary drive installation with Recovery Console.
- When you are prompted to do so, type the administrator password. If you have not set an administrator password, press ENTER to continue.
- Type cd %SystemRoot%\System32, and then press ENTER.
- Rename the following files by using the REN command. To do so, follow this syntax: REN file_name.extension file_name.old
- Type the drive letter of your CD-ROM drive followed by a colon (for example, "D:"), and then press ENTER.
- Type cd i386, and press ENTER.
- Type the following commands one at a time. Press ENTER after each command:
- expand licwmi.dl_ %systemroot%\system32
- expand regwizc.dl_ %systemroot%\system32
- expand licdll.dl_ %systemroot%\system32
- expand wpabaln.ex_ %systemroot%\system32
- expand wpa.db_ %systemroot%\system32
- expand actshell.ht_ %systemroot%\system32
- copy pidgen.dll %systemroot%\system32
- Type Exit and press ENTER to restart the computer.
Article ID: 306081 - Last Review: Mar 10, 2014 - Revision: 1