When you remotely debug an ASP.NET application in Visual Studio .NET, you may receive the following error message:
Error while trying to run project: Unable to start debugging on the web server. Access is denied. Check the DCOM configuration settings for the machine debug manager. Would you like to disable future attempts to debug ASP.NET pages for this project?
This error occurs because the user who is trying to remotely debug is not a member of the Debugger Users group on the Microsoft Internet Information Server (IIS) server.
To add the appropriate user to the Debugger Users group, follow these steps on the Web server:
- From the Windows Start menu, point to Programs, point to Administrative Tools, and then click Computer Management.
- In the left pane, click to expand the Computer Management, System Tools, and Local Users and Groups nodes.
- Click Groups, and then double-click Debugger Users.
- In the Debugger Users Properties dialog box, click Add.
- In the Select Users or Groups dialog box, select the appropriate user, and then click OK.
- Click OK to exit the Debugger Users Properties dialog box.
- Close the Computer Management explorer.
Article ID: 306164 - Last Review: Mar 24, 2009 - Revision: 1