The playback for DVD, which is provided by DirectShow, uses advanced features of your video hardware, such as the Video Mixing Renderer (VMR).
TroubleshootingTo troubleshoot DVD playback:
- Verify that a compliant decoder is installed: In Windows Media Player, on the Tools menu, click Options to see if the DVD tab is available. If a compatible decoder is not properly installed, the DVD tab will not be available.
For instructions on verifying if a compliant decoder is installed, please see article Q306331, which is listed at the end of the "More Information" section of this article.
- If you are unable to successfully play a DVD, try playing a different title to make sure that the problem is not content specific.
- If the problems continue, test in the player that was provided by the DVD decoder (if one was included). If this combination does not work, Windows Media Player will not work either. Further troubleshooting is not warranted until the native player works properly with the decoder. Please contact the decoder provider for more information.
- After you verify that the native player works properly with the decoder, try reinstalling the DVD decoder software as well as applying any necessary patches.
- Attempt to play other media that relies on DirectShow, such as playing a .wmv file by using Mplayer2.exe. To start MPlayer2.exe, click Start, click Run, type mplayer2, and then click OK.
- Try reducing video hardware acceleration in Windows Media Player:
- In Windows Media Player, on the Tools menu, click Options.
- On the Performance tab, under Video Acceleration, move the slider closer to None, then click OK.
- The next troubleshooting step is to reduce display settings:
- Click Start, click Run, and then type desk.cpl in the Open box. Or, right-click an empty area of the desktop, and then click Properties.
- On the Settings tab, move the screen resolution slider to 800 X 600.
- Select 16-bit for the color quality, and then click OK.
Please see the following Microsoft Windows hardware compatibility list for approved DVD decoders:
For additional information, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Article ID: 306318 - Last Review: Jun 19, 2014 - Revision: 1