This step-by-step article describes how to customize the appearance and behavior of the search companion in Windows XP.
Customize Appearance and Behavior to Search Companion
- Click Start, click Search, and then click Change preferences.
- Click With an animated screen character or click Without an animated screen character to add or remove the animated screen character.
- Click With a different character to change the animated character.
NOTE: This option appears only if you the animated screen character is enabled.
- Click With indexing services to speed up searches on the local drives.
- Click Change files and folders search behavior to change the way the search companion searches for files and folders, and then click one of the following options:
- Click Standard to be able to search for a variety of things, such as files, folders, and people, from one location.
- Click Advanced to quickly display the options to search for files and folders.
- Click Change Internet search behavior to change the way you search for objects on the Internet, and then click one of the following options:
- Click With search companion to have the search feature offer suggestions and automatically send your search to other search engines
- Click With Classic Internet search to use the search window that appears in earlier versions of Windows.
- Select the default Internet search engine, and then click OK.
- Click Don't show balloon tips or Show balloon tips, and then click Turn AutoComplete off or Turn AutoComplete on for use with your search entries.
Article ID: 307980 - Last Review: Oct 21, 2008 - Revision: 1