- Which version of Windows you are running
- Whether your installation of Windows is an OEM installation
- Whether your installation of Windows is an international version
Windows Version IdentificationTo determine the version of Windows XP that you are running, follow these steps:
- Click Start, and then click Run.
- In the Open box, type winver.exe, and then click OK. The version number is displayed in the About Windows box.
Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) Version IdentificationWindows may have been preinstalled on your computer. These installations are referred to as OEM installations.
To determine whether you have an OEM installation of Windows, follow these steps:
- Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
- Click Performance and Maintenance, and then click System.
- Click the General tab.
- Locate the number that is displayed under Registered to.
This number typically contains 20 digits. If digits 6, 7, and 8 contain the letters "OEM", you have an OEM installation of Windows.
For example, the following sample Product ID number indicates an OEM installation:12345-OEM-6789098-76543
International Version IdentificationTo determine the language version of Windows that you are using, follow these steps:
- Click Start, and then click Search.
- Click All files and folders.
- In the All or part of the file name box, type winver.exe, and then click Search.
- When the file is located, right-click it, and then click Properties.
- Click the Version tab.
- Under Item name, click Language.
The language version information is displayed under Value.
Article ID: 310104 - Last Review: Sep 23, 2011 - Revision: 1