When you try to configure the direct memory access and programmed input/output (DMA/PIO) settings for a device on a Windows XP-based computer, the settings may not appear in the Properties dialog box for the device. Help does not provide the location of the settings.
This issue occurs because the DMA/PIO settings are configured for each controller instead of for each device.
To work around this issue, open Control Panel, and then follow these steps to configure the DMA/PIO settings for a controller:
- Click Start, click Run, type devmgmt.msc, and then click OK.
- Expand IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.
- Right-click the controller that you want to configure DMA/PIO settings for, and then click Properties.
- Click the Advanced Settings tab.
- In the Transfer Mode box, click either PIO Only or
DMA if available.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section.
Article ID: 310751 - Last Review: Oct 23, 2008 - Revision: 1