After you install the December 8, 2015, update for Outlook 2010 (KB3114409), Outlook 2010 may start only in safe mode, regardless of whether you set the DisableSafeMode registry value. If this issue occurs, uninstall this update, and then install January 12, 2016, update for Outlook 2010 (KB3114570) which contains the fix for this issue.
In the 2016 January Office Update, we added administrative support to disable Outlook 2010 from booting into safe mode. Therefore, an administrator can use a registry value to prevent Outlook from starting in safe mode after it crashes.
To enable this function, install the January 12, 2016, update for Outlook 2010 (KB3114570), and then follow these steps.
Follow the steps in this section carefully. Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Before you modify it, back up the registry for restoration in case problems occur.
- Exit all Microsoft Office applications.
- Start Registry Editor:
- In Windows 10, go to Start, type regedit in the Search box, and then click regedit.exe in the search results.
- In Windows 8 or Windows 8.1, move your mouse to the upper-right corner, click Search, type regedit in the search text box, and then click regedit.exe in the search results.
- In Windows 7 or Windows Vista, click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then click regedit.exe in the search results.
- Locate and then select the following registry subkey:
For Windows 32-bit running Outlook 32-bit or Windows 64-bit running Outlook 64-bit:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Outlook\Security\For Windows 64-bit running Outlook 32-bit:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Outlook\Security\
- On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
- Type DisableSafeMode, and then press Enter.
- In the Details pane, right-click DisableSafeMode, and then click Modify.
- In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK.
- Exit Registry Editor.
Article ID: 3114305 - Last Review: Jan 18, 2016 - Revision: 1
Microsoft Office 2010 Service Pack 2, Microsoft Outlook 2010