WUAUCLT will now close.
This message may reappear several times.
Rename the Wuauclt.exe File
- Click Start, point to Search, and then click For Files or Folders.
- In the Search for files or folders named box, type wuauclt.exe.
- In the Look in box, click Local Disk (C:), and then click Search Now.
The file is located in the C:\Windows folder (where C is the drive on which Windows is installed).
- In the Search Results window, right-click Wuauclt.exe, and then click Rename.
- Type wuauclt.old, and then press ENTER.
- Close the Search Results window.
Extract a New Version of the Wuauclt.exe File
- Click Start, and then click Run.
- In the Open box, type msconfig, and then click OK.
- In the System Configuration Utility dialog box, click Extract File.
- In the Specify the system file you would like to restore box, type Wuauclt.exe, and then click Start.
- Insert your Windows Me CD-ROM into your computer's CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive. Press and hold down the SHIFT key as you insert the CD-ROM to prevent it from starting automatically.
- In the Restore from box, click Browse, and then browse to the E:\win9x folder (where E is the letter of your computer's CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive), and then click OK.
NOTE: If you have an original equipment manufacturer (OEM) installation of Windows Me, the installation files may also be located in one of the following foldersC:\Windows\Options\Cabswhere C is the drive on which Windows is installed.
If these files reside on your computer, you do not need your Windows Me CD-ROM, because you can extract the Wuauclt.exe file from the appropriate folder on your hard disk. For example, browse to the C:\Windows\Options\Install folder, and then click OK.
- In the Save file in box, click Browse, and then browse to the C:\Windows folder (where C is the drive on which Windows is installed), and then click OK.
- Click OK to extract the file.
- Click OK to the "The file has been successfully extracted" message, and then click OK to close the System Configuration Utility dialog box.
Article ID: 312477 - Last Review: Jun 19, 2014 - Revision: 1