Workstations that are left logged on may represent a security risk for an organization. Many networks allow users to leave programs running and to remain logged on to their computers for an undefined time period. The Microsoft Windows 2000 Resource Kit includes the Winexit.scr tool that you can use to automatically quit a user's programs and to log the user off of the workstation.
- Use Windows Explorer to locate the Winexit.scr file in the Windows 2000 Resource Kit folder on your hard disk.
- Right-click the Winexit.scr file, and then click Install.
- The Display Properties dialog box appears with the Screen Saver tab active. The Logoff Screen Saver entry is automatically selected. Click Settings.
- Select the Force application termination check box to force programs to quit.
- In the Countdown for n seconds box, type the number of seconds for which the logoff dialog box appears before the user is logged off.
- In the Logoff Message box, type the message that appears during the logoff countdown. Click OK.
- In the Display Properties dialog box, click Preview.
- You see the Auto Logoff dialog box. It displays the logoff message and the countdown timer. Click Cancel.
- Click OK.
Article ID: 314999 - Last Review: Oct 21, 2008 - Revision: 1