- Shutting down
- Suspending or resuming from Standby mode
- Suspending or resuming from hibernation
To isolate the driver that is causing the error, follow these steps:
- Check to make sure that your computer and all installed devices are on the Hardware Compatibility List (HCL). You can view the HCL at the following Microsoft Web site:
- Check for drivers that are not designed for use with Windows. You can use the Sigverif.exe tool to do this. For information about how to use the Sigverif tool, refer to the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:308514 HOW TO: Verify Unsigned Device Drivers in Windows XP
- Check for driver updates that may be available for your hardware.
- Update any software that uses filter drivers (for example, antivirus, remote control, and backup software).
- Remove any non-critical devices and software to help isolate the device or software that is causing the error.
- Install Windows in a new folder. Add drivers one by one, and restart the computer after each addition, to try to locate the driver that is causing the error.