- You use a Hewlett Packard (HP) ScanJet 5100c scanner with the HP driver.
- You have not updated the scanner driver to the Windows XP version that is available from Hewlett Packard.
Hewlett Packard ScanJet 5100c ScannerTo resolve this issue, follow these steps:
- Disconnect the HP ScanJet 5100c scanner from the computer, and then restart the computer.
- If the issue no longer occurs after you disconnect the scanner, you need to update the driver for your scanner. To do this, proceed to step 3.
If the issue continues to occur after you disconnect the scanner, a program that is loaded when you start the computer may cause a conflict.
For additional information about how to determine if this is the cause,, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:310353 How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows XP
- Download and install the Windows XP version of the HP PrecisionScan update for your HP ScanJet 5100C scanner from the following HP Web site:
Damaged Registry HivesFor additional information about how to resolve this issue if the System registry hive or the Software registry hive is damaged, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.
Article ID: 316506 - Last Review: Oct 23, 2008 - Revision: 1