NOTE: This input/output slowdown was noted to occur even though the computer had plenty of available memory. If your computer does not have enough memory, performance may be substantially degraded before you can see the input/output slowdown.
Date Time Size File name
18-April-02 0:46 5.0.2195.53241,687,296 Ntkrnlmp.exe
18-April-02 0:47 5.0.2195.53241,686,976 Ntkrnlpa.exe
18-April-02 0:47 5.0.2195.53241,707,584 Ntkrpamp.exe
18-April-02 0:46 5.0.2195.53241,665,024 Ntoskrnl.exe
WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.
You can use the following registry key to reduce the registry-flush frequency so that registry modifications can accumulate before the flush. To do so, follow these steps:
- Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
- Locate and then click the following key in the registry:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager
- On the Edit menu, click Add Key, and then add the following registry value:Key Name: Configuration Manager
- Click the Configuration Manager key.
- On the Edit menu, click Add Value, and then add the following registry value:Value name: RegistryLazyFlushInterval
Data type: REG_DWORD
Value data: time in seconds (default value is 5).
- Quit Registry Editor.
Tune for PerformanceA reduction of the number of registry-flush operations, by a factor of 2-3, was measured for values of 30-60 seconds of this interval.
Tune SuggestionPerform a comparative test with the interval set to 30 seconds, and then to 60 seconds. If the observed performance is about the same, select the value of 30 seconds. If the observed difference of performance is important, select a higher value that is closer to 60 seconds. Note that no performance enhancements are noticed when you use an interval that is higher than 60 seconds.
- Enhance system disk-write performance, and turn on write-back caching.
- If you can, reduce the size of user profiles.
Article ID: 317357 - Last Review: Jun 19, 2014 - Revision: 1