Exchange 2000 Server and Exchange Server 2003 allow you to prevent, or block, your users from automatically forwarding their mail to another recipient. However, in practice, you may need to allow a select group of users to do just that. This article explains a method to enable the auto-forward option for some users, even if this option is disabled on a global scale.
To block auto-forwarding on a global scale and then restore this functionality to individual users, follow these steps:
- To block auto-forwarding, follow these steps:
- Start System Manager.
- Double-click Global Settings, and then click Internet Message Formats.
Depending on your configuration, there may be one or more Internet Message Format objects.
- In the detail pane, right-click the Default object, and then click Properties on the shortcut menu.
- Click the Advanced tab, and then click to clear the Allow Automatic Forward check box.
- Click OK.
- To allow selected users to forward mail, follow these steps:
- Click Start, point to Programs, point to Microsoft Exchange, and then click Active Directory Users and Computers.
- Create a contact with an e-mail address that you want to forward mail to. For more information about how to create contacts, click Help Topics on the Help menu, and then type create a mail-enabled contact.
- Click Users, right-click the name of the user for whom you want to configure the forwarding option, and then click Properties on the shortcut menu.
- Click the Exchange General tab, and then click Delivery Options.
- In the Forwarding Address section, select the contact that you created in step b.
- Click to select the Deliver messages to both forwarding address and mailbox check box as appropriate, and then click OK.
- Repeat Steps b through f for all users for whom you would like to enable the auto-forwarding option.
For more information about how to set up and use message-tracking in Exchange, click Help Topics on the Help menu, and then type message tracking center.
Article ID: 317652 - Last Review: Dec 2, 2007 - Revision: 1