Method 1: Use the Office administrative template and customization tool
- Download the latest templates (Office 2016 Administrative Template files (ADMX/ADML) and Office Customization Tool). A new GPO item (Prioritize BITS) is added to the Office16.admx.
- Start the Group Policy Management Console, enable Prioritize BITS under Computer Configuration, expand Administrative Templates, expand Microsoft Office 2016 (machine) and choose Updates.
Method 2: Add a registry entryImportant This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
322756How to back up and restore the registry in Windows
Create the following registry entry.
Registry subkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\policies\microsoft\office\16.0\common\officeupdate
Registry Value name: setbitsasprimary
Registry Type: REG_DWORD
Enabled Value: 1 (default)
- This item only applies for Office client build that's greater than or equals to 16.0.7213.6925.
- This policy setting only applies to Office 365 clients that are installed by using Click-to-Run (Office 2016 Click-to-Run editions). This includes Office 365 ProPlus, Office 365 Business, Visio Pro for Office 365 and Project Pro for Office 365. It doesn't apply to Office products that use Windows Installer (MSI).
- If the policy setting is enabled, BITS is used on devices that are downloading Office updates directly from the Office CDN.
- The devices won't use BITS if updates are obtained from a local Universal Naming Convention (UNC) share.
- If the policy setting is disabled or not configured, BITS isn't prioritized and the HTTP will be the primary transport for downloading updates.
Article ID: 3191682 - Last Review: Sep 21, 2016 - Revision: 1