To learn more about the vulnerability, see Microsoft Security Bulletin MS16-140.
- All future security and non-security updates for Windows RT 8.1, Windows 8.1, and Windows Server 2012 R2 require update 2919355 to be installed. We recommend that you install update 2919355 on your Windows RT 8.1-based, Windows 8.1-based, or Windows Server 2012 R2-based computer so that you receive future updates.
- If you install a language pack after you install this update, you must reinstall this update. Therefore, we recommend that you install any language packs that you need before you install this update. For more information, see Add language packs to Windows.
Additional information about this security update
The following articles contain additional information about this security update as it relates to individual product versions. The articles may contain known issue information.
- 3197873 November 2016 Security Only Quality Update for Windows RT 8.1, Windows 8.1, and Windows Server 2012 R2
- 3197874 November 2016 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 8.1, and Windows Server 2012 R2
- 3197876 November 2016 security only quality update for Windows Server 2012
- 3197877 November 2016 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows Server 2012
- 3198585 Cumulative update for Windows 10: November 8, 2016
- 3198586 Cumulative update for Windows 10 Version 1511: November 8, 2016
- 3200970 Cumulative update for Windows 10 Version 1607 and Windows Server 2016: November 8, 2016
Known issues in this update
Some Lenovo servers do not start after this update is installed. Lenovo is aware of this problem and has released a UEFI update to address it. In the interim, Microsoft has changed the detection logic in the update to prevent additional customers from being affected. For more information, see https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht502912.
How to obtain and install the update
Method 1: Windows Update
Turn on automatic updating in Control Panel.
Note For Windows RT 8.1, this update is available through Windows Update only.