This security update resolves the following vulnerabilities in Windows Server 2012:
- MS16-142 Cumulative security update for Internet Explorer
- MS16-140 Security update for boot manager
- MS16-138 Security update to Microsoft virtual hard drive
- MS16-137 Security update for Windows authentication methods
- MS16-135 Security update for Windows kernel-mode drivers
- MS16-134 Security update for common log file system driver
- MS16-132 Security update for Microsoft graphics component
- MS16-130 Security update for Microsoft Windows
- The security fixes that are listed in the "Summary" section of this Security Only Quality Update 3197876 are also included in the November 2016 Security Monthly Quality Rollup 3197877 . Update rollup 3197876 also includes improvements and fixes from October monthly rollup 3185332 that was released on October 11, 2016. Installing either update 3197876 or 3197877 installs the security fixes that are listed here.
- If you use update management processes other than Windows Update, and you automatically approve all security updates classifications for deployment, both this November 2016 Security Only Quality Update 3197876 and the November 2016 Security Monthly Quality Rollup 3197877 are deployed. We recommend that you review your update deployment rules to make sure the desired updates are deployed.
- Updated This November 2016 Security Only Quality Update was revised December 13, 2016. With this change, this update will not be applicable for installation on a computer where the Security Monthly Quality Rollup or the Preview of Monthly Quality Rollup from November 2016 (or a later month) is already installed, because those updates contain all security fixes that are included in this Security Only Quality Update.
- If you install a language pack after you install this update, you must reinstall this update. Therefore, we recommend that you install any language packs that you need before you install this update. For more information, see Add language packs to Windows.
Known issues in this update
Some Lenovo servers do not start after this update is installed. Lenovo is aware of this problem and has released a UEFI update to address it. In the interim, Microsoft has changed the detection logic in the update to prevent additional customers from being affected. For more information, see https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht502912.