High availability (HA) is supported in the following scenarios for a configuration of SQL Server:
- Failover clustering is supported.
- Mirroring is supported on 4.4.1459.0 or later.
- AlwaysOn Availability Groups is supported on 4.4.1459.0 or later.
- Synchronization server HA is not supported.
Disaster recovery is supported in the following scenarios for a configuration of SQL Server:
- Log shipping is supported.
- Mirroring is supported (this feature will likely be deprecated in future SQL Server versions).
- AlwaysOn Availability Groups is supported - [Synchronous (supported on 4.4.1459.0 or later)/Asynchronous-Commit Availability mode]
Known issues and findings
Note Unless otherwise specified, the following items apply to all databases for the MIM server components.
- The SQLNCLI OLE DB Provider does not support the MultiSubnetFailover keyword. To use the MultiSubnetFailover keyword, use the ODBC driver. For more information, see SQL Server Native Client Support for High Availability, Disaster Recovery.
- By default, the RegisterAllProvidersIP is now disabled.
- The FIMService server service throws an exception. The service tries to send the fault to the client if it is necessary and update the request status to Denied.
- The FIMService server service retries to connect to the database. There are 10 retries with a timeout of 6 seconds, after which the service is terminated if the database is not available. If the database is available, the service tries to continue processing request.
- The FIMService server service throws an exception or retries to connect to the database when the server service tries to update its status to Denied if the database is not available.
- For the Synchronization Service, if a request fails during a sync session (FIM MA Import/Export) because the FIMService database is not available, the sync session will stop with "Stop Server" status (the same error as for FIMSynchronizationService database is not available).
Note To work around this issue, run (Delta/Full) import, and then continue with the export.
- In some scenarios, slow SQL replication is lagging as this may bring down the service request pipeline.