When you do a CETAS operation to Azure blob storage by using PolyBase from the Microsoft SQL Server Parallel Data Warehouse (PDW) appliance, the Azure service returns the following error message:
Msg 105005, Level 16, State 1, Server [Server name], Line LineNumber
CREATE EXTERNAL TABLE AS SELECT statement failed as the path name 'wasbs://[Container name]@[Storage name].blob.core.windows.net/[Location name]' could not be used for export. Please ensure that the specified path is a directory which exists or can be created, and that files can be created in that directory.
This error occurs because PolyBase can’t complete the operation. The operation failure can be due to one or both of the following:
- Network failure when you try to access the Azure blob storage on the required network ports
- The configuration of the Azure storage account
To fix this issue, make sure that the following prerequisites are met.
- Network requirements:
- Allow local firewall ports 80 and 443 outbound to *.blob.core.windows.net from CTL01 node through provided internet connectivity.
- Storage account requirements:
- Make sure that the storage account is configured as a standard storage account that uses either of the following storage replication options (Classic or Resource Manager based):
- Standard Locally Redundant Storage (Standard-LRS)
- Standard Geo-Redundant Storage (Standard-GRS)
- For Resource Manager based storage accounts:
- Configure the account for "General Purpose."
When you use Resource Manager Based storage accounts, make sure that the account is configured for "General Purpose." If you use "Blob Store," an error message will be returned.