This security update resolves vulnerabilities in Microsoft Office that could allow remote code execution if a user opens a specially crafted Office file. To learn more about these vulnerabilities, see Microsoft Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures CVE-2017-0207. This update has prerequisites.
Note If you already have Office 2016 for Mac installed and you don't want to receive Office for Mac 2011 updates, follow the steps in Uninstall Office 2011 for Mac to remove Office for Mac 2011.
In addition to the application improvements that are mentioned in this article, Office for Mac 2011 is now available as a subscription offering. For more information, see Office 365 frequently asked questions.
Improvements and fixes
This update fixes critical issues and helps to improve security. This security update provides the latest fixes for Office for Mac 2011.
Method 1: Microsoft AutoUpdate for Mac
Method 2: Microsoft Download Center
Updated filesFor a complete list of the files that this update adds or changes, double-click the update installer, and then click Show Files on the File menu.
- The Office for Mac 2011 14.7.3 update is also available from Microsoft AutoUpdate for Mac. AutoUpdate is a program that automatically keeps Microsoft software up-to-date.
- To use AutoUpdate, start an Office for Mac program, and then click Check for Updates on the Help menu.
PrerequisitesBefore you install the Office for Mac 2011 14.7.3 update, make sure that you have Office for Mac 2011 14.1.0 or a later version installed on your computer. Also, make sure that the computer is running Mac OS X 10.5.8 or a later version of the Mac OS X operating system.
To verify that the computer meets this prerequisite, click About This Mac on the Apple menu.
To verify that Office for Mac 2011 14.1.0 is installed on your computer, follow these steps:
- On the Go menu, click Applications.
- Open the Microsoft Office 2011 folder, and then start any Office application. (For example, start Microsoft Word.)
- On the application menu, click About <application>.
- In the About <application> dialog box, note the version number that is displayed. The version should be 14.1.0 or a later version.
Update replacement informationThis security update replaces security update 3198809.
How to obtain help and support for this security updateSecurity solutions for IT professionals: TechNet Security Support and Troubleshooting
Local support according to your country: International Support
Article ID: 3212218 - Last Review: Apr 12, 2017 - Revision: 14