When this issue occurs, the following entry is logged in the DFSR event log:
Log Name: DFS ReplicationAdditionally, the following entry is logged in the Directory Service event log:
Event ID: 6804
The DFS Replication service has detected that no connections are configured for replication group Domain System Volume. No data is being replicated for this replication group.
Log Name: Directory ServiceWhen this issue occurs, new RODCs that are promoted work correctly. Also, demoting and promoting an affected RODC fixes the issue.
Event ID: 2843
Task Category: Knowledge Consistency Checker
The Knowledge Consistency Checker was unable to locate a replication connection for the read-only local directory service. A replication connection with the following option must exist in the forest for correct FRS system behavior.
Restore the original replication connection for the local directory service instance on a writable directory service instance.
Note Outbound replication also does not occur. However, this behavior is by design on an RODC.
- A customer notices that the connections are named "FRS" and, therefore, believes that the connections are no longer required because DFSR is replicating SYSVOL.
- The administrator created manual connection objects per local processes.
- Log on to a writeable DC in the affected forest as an enterprise administrator.
- Start Dssite.msc.
- Navigate to an affected RODC within its site, and scroll down to the NTDS Settings object.
Note There may be no connections listed here, or there may be manually created connections.
- Create a connection object, and give it the same name as the default object. For example, name the object RODC Connection (FRS).
- Edit the new connection in Adsiedit .msc or by using the Dssite.msc Attribute Editor tab. Navigate to the options attribute, and then enter 0x40 in the Value field.
- Repeat steps 4 and 5 to create more connections, as necessary.
- Force Active Directory replication outbound from this DC to the RODCs, or wait for convergence to occur. When the DFSR service on the RODC sees these connections, SYSVOL begins to replicate again.
About RT (NTDSCONN_OPT_RODC_TOPOLOGY, 0x00000040)The NTDSCONN_OPT_RODC_TOPOLOGY bit in the options attribute indicates whether the connection can be used for DRS replication (MS-DRDM). When the connection is set, it should be ignored by DRS replication and used only by FRS replication.
Note The 0x40 value is required for both DFSR and FRS. Other connections for Active Directory replication are still required separately, and they exist on the RODC locally.